I recently received a Samsung Omnia 7 and I think it’s a pretty awesome phone. But, Windows Phone 7 in general lags behind with a few things, one of these things is a built in internet tethering feature (like in the iPhone for example). Since I’m going away for a few days I don’t intend on going around with a 3G modem (my laptop doesn’t have a built in 3G modem), neither am I to keen on switching back to my iPhone. So I searched for a solution and stumbled upon a hack to enable launch the Omnia 7 Diagnostic Menu and the Micro USB Test.
Here’s what you need to do
Open the phone application
Dial # # 634 # and press Call
This will launch the diagnostic menu
Enter * # 7284 #
If the code above is entered properly then the Micro USB Test app launches
Select Modem, Tethered Call
You are prompted to restart the device
Connect your Omnia 7 to your computer via USB
In my attempt I was prompted to install the Samsung USB Driver and Windows 7 provided me with a link. Try it out 🙂
I got my first application published on the Marketplace. The process was surprisingly fast, took overnight to get it certified and another day before it appeared on the Marketplace. I have a video demo of the game here and I demonstrate how parts of the game was built in an article called Writing a Puzzle Game for Windows Phone 7 using XNA. Try the game out, I’d love to get some feedback. It’s a game made over a weekend and the main purpose was to experience the publishing process. If you have some comments, suggestions, or questions on the game then please send them to me and I’ll see what I can do.
You probably noticed by now that the default Windows Phone 7 emulator only contains Internet Explorer and the Settings. I stumbled upon a tip from Daniel Vaughan about Launchers and Choosers today and I learned about a task that can start up the Marketplace Hub. Unfortunately you will have to create an application that calls into the Launcher API to accomplish this.
Here’s what you need to do:
1) Create a new Silverlight Windows Phone Application 2) In your MainPage.cs and add a using directive to the Microsoft.Phone.Tasks namespace. 3) Add the following in the constructor of MainPage.cs after calling the InitializeComponent() method: